Woo had a rough week. First, there's so much smoke in the air from the fires out west, that after our evening stroll he coughed and hacked for the rest of the night. At one point I woke up because it sounded like he couldn't breathe. After a bit, he calmed down and was able to sleep. This is coming on the heels of an allergic reaction he had to some wild mint he ate while camping with the kids last week. That time his throat closed up and he felt like he was having an asthma attack for about half an hour. I asked him if he panicked.
Woo: No, I knew everything would be okay.  
Me: Why?  
Woo: Well, I said some prayers... and I just knew that it would.
Woo got a waterproof case for his phone. He had dreams of amazing underwater pictures, but none of them took at all, except this one.

It worked for kids splashing, though.

One bright spot to his week was canning three batches of salsa with his mom. He loves that stuff (and his mom).

Linus (telling us about his church class): We watched a really, really, really long movie. 
Then he proceeded to tell us the whole story of Joseph of Egypt. He ended with:
Oh. And everyone was cucumbers. 
After a pause I finally said, "Veggie Tales? They showed you Veggie Tales in church???"

Could be worse, I guess. He did seem to have the whole story down.

My proudest moment was when Moses came down blubbering and screaming about how everyone hated him, and ranted on and on about specific mean things everyone's done, and how it's not his fault and so on and so on. (He does this quite often when he's tired.) And I finally figured out that he should be saying all those things in a prayer. Ranting in prayers is perfectly acceptable in my mind and I knew Heavenly Father would help him feel better and give him solutions far better than I ever could, so I told him so. He was reluctant, but finally crawled under the desk in the kitchen where I could hear him sobbing out all his troubles in a prayer. All was quiet for about ten seconds before Ruby came down, "Mom! I cleaned Moses room and I cleaned my room--" and Moses popped out a much happier boy. The same thing worked again the next day when he was distraught about Herbie.

My least proudest moment was how I snapped at everyone almost constantly Wednesday morning. I did have an infection in my ear that I eventually took some advil for, but still... it took me awhile to work out of that funk.

Woo got Ruby and Herbie some new, used mountain bikes that they're super excited about, and have been riding every chance they get. So Woo took the older three kids on a little ride down in the river bottoms. Ruby and Herbie also started a kids' coding class at the library that they say is a lot of fun.

Herbie did some more windows this week, but he enlisted Linus' help this time. Herbie is a good teacher, and he showed Linus everything Woo had taught him to do and Linus was thrilled to be standing on a ladder and helping. Herbie also showed Linus how to write "I'm going to school next week" for some letters we wrote this evening.

Herbie mowed the lawn again, and cut a lot of the long grass in the corners with a pair of scissors before Woo showed him how to use the weed whacker. He spent two satisfying hours out there getting the yard in shape.

Linus and Moses spent many hours playing outside with their firetrucks and the firemen made out of blocks. I once overheard them arguing over who got to be the "UPS fireman with a snowmobile."

For her fourth birthday Grandma and Grandpa gave Penelope a princess backpack, watch, shoes and two princess gowns. She immediately changed into one of the gowns, Moses and Linus stood at the door as her footmen and Penelope stepped out with a pleased, stately look on her face. She loves those dresses and has worn them constantly since. It's obvious she feels very beautiful and special wearing them. For awhile, she wouldn't even run in them, but would chase after Archie with a poised, quick walk, but she did eventually break down into a run.

Archie's favorite phrase is "that's why." He tacks it on the end of everything. "I don't want to! That's why!" "I need some milk! That's why!" "I fell and hurt my knee! That's why!"

School starts next week. I have mixed feelings. I'm excited for the kids, especially Linus, who's starting kindergarten. I know they're excited, and I remember how I looked forward to a new school year. I'm thinking the house might be cleaner and it might be easier for me to get around with only two kids at home for part of the day. But, I'll miss the times we have during the summer with everyone home, and I dread that adjustment period. Maybe it'll be easier this year.

Well, that's about it. Hope you had a good week!

Here's a little memory I told some of my kids this week:

Dad came home from work and said, "It's Halloween, Chelsey! Get dressed, we're going trick-or-treating!" I was so surprised, because I didn't even know it was Halloween or that I could go trick-or-treating. Mom put me in a striped turtle neck, some suspenders and painted my face white for a clown, and Dad and I left. I think I must have been three? and Tyson was just a baby? Maybe I was four. Tyson and Mom stayed home.

Dad and I went around the block. Every door was opened by someone excited to see me, a clown, standing there or being held by my dad, and then they gave me some candy. It was a lot to take in. When we got home, Mom wanted to know if I'd had fun. She washed off my clown make up and put me in bed.

Thinking back, I'm surprised Dad was excited to take me trick-or-treating, since I'm pretty sure he hates Halloween and most especially trick-or-treating, but I'm glad he took me. It's one of my earliest memories and it's a good one.