Uinta for One, Uinta for All

Woo threw in a surprise, last minute trip to the Uintas before school starts. And that's when I realized my no-toil-nor-labor-fear testimony from the week before was actually just for me (Okay, let's be honest. They've all been for me.)

Of course, Christine dropped everything and joined us. If it hadn't been for her last experience, I'd have said she'd walk through fire to get to the Uintas.

Every time we go, we learn a few things to make our trip easier. I was luckily armed with Lyndy's cookie s'mores idea, which made serving s'mores to a giant bunch of impatient kids 2,000% easier and 300% tastier. (I also bought some more exotic cookies I thought would be fun to try, but somehow those got eaten long before any marshmallows were ever roasted.)

And when I saw Christine pull out her paper bowls which she immediately burned after meals I thought: Why have I ever packed in dishes that I also have to wash? WHY???

Ruby was still sick when we left, but she was a trooper, hauling her load in without complaint. She did complain of a headache when we got there, and had to lie down in the tent as soon as we got it up. But after about 1/2 hour, she was out again and fine for the rest of the stay.

Oh yeah, and Ruby and I had an accidental latrine encounter, which Ruby thought was hilarious, because maybe it was. But the best thing she said was several minutes later after sitting in silence when she asked, "Mom, did you ever see your mom's bum?"

Herbie was the only kid who wanted to hike up the rock mountain next to our camp (everyone else was busy playing Rangers Apprentice), and he was rewarded with a bunch of pictures and unhampered time alone with adults.

Moses caught this little frog I found on the way to Mohawk. There were actually two, but Moses was the only kid who caught one. He attributed it to his quick snake-catching skills, which impressed his cousin Isaac when he heard: You catch snakes?! Moses (reddening and looking away): Yeah.

He wanted to keep it as a pet, but we had him release it.

Linus was the crankiest kid there. He had a giant meltdown the second afternoon. I can't remember what for, or how it was resolved. The first evening fishing was really windy and he hooked himself while casting about 17 times. Luckily, 15 of those were into his thick jacket and 1 was into his pants. Only 1 got him in the finger.

Nellpea sat right down in the smoke coming off the fire and started to complain about it.
Moses: It's because you're a girl--smoke follows beauty, Nellpea.
Nellpea (not flattered at all): I'm NOT pretty right now! Because I'm wearing NOT a dress!

While packing up to go, I passed Archie kneeling in the dirt, his arms folded. He was praying to find his hat. We looked for a few minutes, but it was Archie's hat--it could've been anywhere, he couldn't remember anything about where he'd lost it. We hiked home (hitting rain and sleet about halfway through and downpour by the end), drove home, unpacked, put kids to bed, slept, woke up, etc. Woo walked out the door, on his way to work, and called out my name. There was Archie's hat, lying on the grass.

Woo slept poorly the first night, waking up every hour. He woke up early our first morning and took Herbie, Moses and Linus fishing. Woo caught one fish while they were there, and it was the only fish anyone caught the whole trip. Which was a good thing because somehow no one had packed tinfoil. Woo resorted to roasting it over the fire with a stick. We didn't get a picture (too dark), but he was pretty proud of his survival skills.

I seem to have discovered the secret to sleeping well while camping, for me at least. I just have to sleep on my belly. It's padded enough and comfortable enough that I don't notice what's under me. It was all that side-sleeping I'd started during pregnancy that was making me miserable in a tent.

Well, that's it. Hope everyone has a good start to school (if you're going)!