The Never-Ending Email

I was thinking we had a rough week until I looked back over my notes and saw that there were quite a few great moments.

One thing I've noticed this week is how much Linus is enjoying the scriptures. He reads well individually every morning, but once this week when the timer went off he sighed and said, "That was fun."

He's in the war chapters again... his favorite.

Our new way of studying the Book of Mormon is definitely better for him. He's engaged and asking lots of questions. Instead of being surly almost every evening, he's surly about once a week.

And he read and marked his scriptures through about 2 1/2 hrs of district conference this weekend. When the mission president got up and started talking about the first vision, Linus whispered, "I just read that!!"

One night after we'd put the kids to bed, Woo leaned over and said, what's this under your pillow? It was a tiny heart that Penelope had cut out and written "I love you soo much, Mom and Dad."

The next morning Penelope said that after she'd gone to bed, she remembered that she'd never told us about the note she'd written and she was afraid we wouldn't see it--it was so little. So she'd prayed that we'd find the note, and we did!

Another day at lunch, the school worker very solemnly told us I needed to talk to Penelope's teacher. (They always make it seem like something dreadful has happened... ), and Penelope's teacher was indeed waiting for us with her arm around Penelope who had her head down and was looking very sad...

Anyway, Penelope's teacher was concerned because Penelope couldn't open her eyes and was in a lot of pain, especially when she went outside. We took her home for lunch, and we were unsure what it could be... we ruled out a migraine and brightness (it's been really hot this week and also new white paint on the wall of the school)...

And then Penelope remembered that she'd sprayed a bunch of perfume (that a friend had given her) all over her hair and then when she'd gone outside and started running around and sweating it must of have gotten into her eyes. Thankfully everything was easily solved with a bath (although Penelope wore sunglasses to class in the afternoon... *placebo*)

Herbie and Moses both have been following Ruby's example, trying to be much better in school. Moses has gotten lots of muito boms on tests. Herbie came home with not just a muito bom in Portuguese, but an excelente (100%).

So, when Herbie said a friend was coming over to film a little thing for their technology class in the afternoon, and they might need to go to the beach or maybe the park, and they'd probably need Moses to hold the phone, I thought nothing of it.

Archie and I walked Ruby back to school for the afternoon, where I was going to register Archie for 1st grade and Ruby was going to help me if I ran into Portuguese troubles. (She also encouraged Archie to dress in an outfit matching her own and combed his hair. It was pretty cute. Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a picture.)

I did not get Archie registered because OF COURSE I didn't bring one document that I didn't even know I needed (hopefully next week!), and Archie and I headed home where I started to think about Herbie and Moses...

And suddenly I realized that they weren't just going to go to the beach and film something, but that there was no way they'd be able to keep themselves out of the water on a hot day like this or run around all over the dunes... Moses was probably lost in a mountain range of dunes right now!! And hot days attract the unsavory characters to the beach... what had I been thinking??

I hoped they would be home when we got home, however they were not. I wondered how much longer they would be. I was anxious for them to get back. But I didn't want to go to the beach myself. The apartment was cool; I was tired of walking, and I was possibly just being paranoid.

So I said a little prayer where I learned that Yes! I should go get them (although they were being protected). Archie and I set off once again and the beach was crowded, but we found Herbie in the water within a few minutes of getting there.

Moses was nowhere to be seen. But we did find him quite a ways away, covered in sand, a few yards from Herbie's stuff.

The movie had never been filmed. The friend had wanted to swim instead, Herbie and Moses got another practical lesson of what happens when you're too easily influenced by your friends, and I'll be more alert next time.

Archie, Penelope and Linus had their beach day in school. Last year Archie did not want to get in the water, but this year he was brave enough. He got to wear a wetsuit and body board (with assistance) for a few waves and surf (with assistance) for a few waves. It's a great end-of-the-school year activity.

One afternoon Archie was whining he didn't have anything to do, so Woo sent him to his room to deep clean it. He cried and whined some more of course, but after about 15 minutes he actually started to do it. And he really did do a fantastic job. I had no idea he could clean so well, but he folded all his clothes, swept, successfully distinguished trash from treasure, and came down with armfuls of that trash for the garbage can.

And now he knows how much easier it is to keep a clean room clean over repeatedly trying to clean a messy room. It still looks good. He thinks it's going to last a year, and even though I know that's pretty much impossible, I haven't told him yet.

Woo and I went to the beach one morning when the kids were at school to try out his ... he calls it a mountain board ... but it's a skate board with bindings like a snowboard, wide wheels like a fat tire bike, and a kite like a kite board.

Herbie and I have seen one in action once before, with a guy whizzing along the beach at low tide, being pulled by a kite.

Anyway, Woo did not get to that point. He never even got to the think about standing on the board point. But he did get the kite all set up correctly and we did get it in the air for a few minutes a couple of times.

He seemed to think it was funny when the kite would dive to the ground almost on top of me and I wouldn't react at all, but would pick up the kite and throw it up again. Perfectly understandable though, when you know I wasn't thinking of the kite hardly ever, but was lost in my own thoughts.

Something changed in my running last week or maybe the week before. I don't know how to explain it, other than I no longer feel like something is dragging me down. I feel like that's gone and that I can go faster, and even faster in the future. Also I am thinner, noticeably thinner (not imaginary thinner) for the first time since right before I got pregnant with Penelope (?).

I haven't changed anything in the last couple weeks or months, but in my birthday blessing Woo did bless me to run and not be weary.

District conference was this weekend. I had no plans to go to the leadership or adult sessions only because I felt that 7-8 hours was too long to leave the kids all alone. But then both Woo and I were asked to speak in the adult session and I suddenly had to start thinking about a talk and how to keep the kids happy while there.

The talk came easily, and we found a few new church-appropriate movies for the kids to watch during the leadership session. They could attend the session we were speaking in.

The kids were not happy when they found out how their Saturday was to be spent. There was a lot of complaining from all of them except Herbie and Penelope. It was a pretty rough morning.

Woo decided we should do our New Testament study on the drive, and because I feel sick turning around in the van and yelling so everyone can hear me, Woo (who has a naturally loud voice) sat in the passenger seat, read all the verses, asked all the questions, and made almost all of the commentary, while I drove. It was good. The kids paid attention and I learned a couple things that had puzzled me about JS-Matthew.

The movies worked great for the kids--until the leadership meeting split into groups and they needed the room the kids were in and I was stuck in a meeting I was getting nothing out of (nor contributing to) because it was going over, I was worried about the kids and I getting food and a break before the next session, and a host of other things.

I made a very awkward and undignified exit, and we ran to the store, accidentally left one cart in the store, so never purchased half the kids' food, dealt with A LOT of complaining, got the kids dressed, spilled water all over my shirt, and so on and so on, until we all finally sat down to start and I was surprised to learn that I was the very first speaker.

Thank goodness I was because then it was over. Woo was naturally entertaining, of course, even in Portuguese. Surprisingly, Ruby really seemed to be enjoying almost all of the speakers.

The meeting got out early, Ruby got a few learning-to-play-the-piano tips from the 2 senior missionary sisters and the mission president's wife, we hustled kids out of there, drove home with some more NT and our nightly BofM, got the kids in bed late, Woo and I laid down exhausted...

AND because of the day we had yesterday, today's 3 hr bus ride and session of district conference was a walk in the park for pretty much all of us. (It would have been for all of us, if not for Woo's asthma, which always gives him a lot of trouble on Sunday, for some reason.)

Last year I made everyone sandwiches to eat on the bus ride home. This year I had them all make their own. (Penelope never would've gotten this butter, peanut butter, cheese, mayonnaise and mustard masterpiece from me.) Also, we slept in and did our individual scripture study on the bus.

Anyway, that's our week. Hope yours was great!